Did you know that you can create an exciting look in virtually any room of your house with some paint and a natural sponge? Well, there may be a little bit more to it than that, but sponge painting is a fairly simple technique which can provide amazing results. There is perhaps no better room in the house to try your hand at a sponge-painting project than in your child’s bedroom; the possibilities for creating something whimsical and even a bit magical are endless.
Faux painting actually comes in many forms nowadays, and sponge painting was at the forefront of this recent development in painting techniques. Anyone seeking to add interest and a textured look to their walls used a sponge back then, and the technique is still in vogue today. You should know, however, that it’s not easy to achieve a professional-quality sponge painting effect. If this is the look you really want and you don’t have the time to perfect it yourself, our professionals are experienced in a wide array of faux painting techniques and available to get the job done right.
Here are a few sponge painting secrets to consider:
• When you are sponge-painting a room, it is almost impossible for an amateur to fill in the corners of the room to match the walls. Some will advise you to simply use a small paintbrush to complete the corners but the texture will not match and it doesn’t look as good.
• Be sure to wear latex gloves for the entire painting process. If you don’t, your fingernails will get paint under them; and it’s not easy to remove.
• The most difficult type of room to sponge-paint is a small room with lots of corners and other things to work around, such as the bathroom. Even if you take everything off the walls, it’s extremely difficult to get such a room sponge-painted really well.
• It’s difficult to achieve a consistent pattern with consistent depth when you sponge-paint.
• To make the job easier and at the same time achieve a more professional finish, use a natural sponge roller. The roller makes it easier to achieve even corners and a consistent pattern throughout.
• Use at least two paint colors, for best results.
• You can use three colors from a coordinating paint swatch. The base coat should be the middle color; use the lighter and darker shades for sponging.
• Each paint color you use when sponge-painting should be the same sheen.
• You can create a daintier, more transparent look by mixing the paint with acrylic glaze.
• As you apply the paint, use a light touch and avoid saturating the roller. The paint darkens as it dries. Use newspaper to roll off any excess paint.
• Instead of rolling up and down, you should roll in a crisscross or random pattern.
• Before getting started, it’s a good idea to practice on cardboard or newspaper.
A few ideas to create an outstanding sponge-painting effect on the walls of your child’s room follow:
Choose bright colors for your painting project and apply sponge paint in various designs, such as stars, the moon, flowers, alphabets, and butterflies.
Paint the ceiling your favorite sky blue and use a sponge to create a variety of white cloud shapes.
Create a whirlpool of interesting patterns for your teenager’s bedroom.
There are many types of wall design that our professionals can achieve for you, in addition to sponge-painting. Whether you are looking to create walls that are uniquely elegant or dramatic or covered with geometric patterns, or whatever else, our professionals can get the job done.
Franklin Painting LLC – Call us Toll Free at 877-646-7774
or at our main office number 860-678-7701
2 Eastview Drive, Farmington, CT 06032